Wednesday, June 19, 2019

a new camera and a thunderstorm

As I am writing this post the rain is pouring and the thunderstorm is roaring. A few times a minute I can see the lightning through my window, lighting up my bedroom. And the street is full of water. 
It’s June - the temperatures are warm but  are usually saying goodbye with a thunderstorm as their final waves. I’m not worrying about it though, as it will be warm weather soon again in the weekend. And beside that, I love thunderstorms.

I’m not here to write about the weather though, but about my new treasure, my new camera. I just love it so much. In fact, I ordered it last thursday and when the postman didn’t show up the next day it was really working on my nerves since I can be very impatient sometimes, especially when waiting for something I really want to have so badly. I got it on saturday though so I’ve got nothing to complain about...
I ordered the Canon 600d DSLR camera. I never used a DSLR before - all pictures I ever posted on my instagram were taken with my System compact camera, the Canon sx40hs. And although I’m thankful I could use it for all these years, I really felt the urge to get myself a new one after four years. My old camera didn’t give my the results I exactly wanted to have which led to frustration and the feeling of a missing link. I absolutely wanted a camera that could switch lenses and my old camera doesn't have that possibility.
If I’m honest I had no idea where to start looking for when I researched buying a DSLR because there are so many types of them..! So I decided to read a FAQ of one of my favorite photographers, Gingerlillytea, and found out what camera she uses, and decided to get myself the same camera as hers because I was sure that one could take good photographs. As long as I would be as creative as she is though. Yes, I know it’s not a very professional research but I can be very impulsive sometimes and often follow my first impression instead of analyzing it over and over again (which is absolutely not giving me a positive outcome sometimes!)
But in this case it was positive and I’m glad I ordered the camera I wanted to get in the first place.

I decided to use two old analog Olympus lenses that were getting dusty somewhere under by bed, and give them a new life. I’m using an adapter to attach the analog lenses (a 50mm and a 70-210mm) to my camera. The negative side about this (I think?) is because the autofocus doesn’t work because of the adapter. But at the other hand it’s probably good because it forces me to use the manual functions which will make me practice it more automatically instead of switching over to the auto function.

The 50mm lens is so beautiful... It has a lovely depth of field and bokeh as well. I especially want to use it for portraits mostly. Sometimes it’s a little hard getting the focus right in some situations though, especially when I use the 1.8F opening. I know I can also use a smaller diafragma but I’m not so sure which shutter speed to use in combination with that diafragma. To make a long story short: I have to practice a lot. I can't tell so much about the 70-210mm lens because I only took a few pictures with this lens. The 50mm is my favorite so far because it's a very lightweighting lens as well.
Personally I think that the most difficult thing to think about while shooting manually with your DSLR is actually picking the right shutter speed. If you have much knowledge about picking the right shutterspeed or any other advice, please contact me because I would love to learn all of these things.
I will share some pictures with you here, pictures I took with my new camera, mostly with the 50mm 1.8 olympus lens. As you can see some of them (the sheep picture for example) aren't 100 percent sharp on the focusing point but I'm a beginner with this gear.., so it's alright I suppose.







Thank you for taking the time to read and I wish you all a lovely day,

Sasja

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment or ask anything ♥